NAMI BASICS is a free new education program for parents and other care givers of children/adolescents living with mental illness. NAMI drew on course elements which have been extensively tested and found to be highly effective.
These elements include:
- Recognition of mental illness as a continuing traumatic event for the child and the family
- Sensitivity to the subjective emotional issues faced by family caregivers and well children in the family
- Recognition of the need to help reduce the day-to-day objective burdens of care and management
- Gaining confidence and stamina for what can be a life-long role of family understanding and support
- Empowerment of caregivers as effective advocates for their children