POSITION TITLE: Wellness Navigator – Carlsbad, California
Primary Responsibilities/Function: The Wellness Navigator is an interdisciplinary subject matter expert that serves participants in navigating and achieving their physical health and mental health goals. The Wellness Navigator is member of the NAMI San Diego Support Team and works alongside the Equus Team to provide individualized person centered supports to each program participant. This position will provide direct support to high-risk individuals experiencing homelessness for behavioral health services in a non-congregate emergency shelter setting.
The Wellness Navigator‘s foundation is to build trusting relationships by reaching out to participants on a daily basis, directing and supporting program participants experiencing housing insecurity to community resources. The Wellness Navigator will also look threw a holistic whole person lens to provide opportunities to increase wellness through engagement of the individual to opportunities for community involvement, socialization and recreation in fields that the participant is interested in.
The Wellness navigator will utilize de-escalation skills and critical intervention techniques in order to provide a safe and productive environment for the participants that they serve. The Wellness Navigator will be an integral part of the support team. Though the Wellness Navigator will be working in an in-person setting.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Promote and link effective health and wellness navigation, and access to medical care and creation of innovative opportunities for socializing and recreation for individuals experiencing housing insecurity who are residing in the temporary, non-congregate emergency shelter.
- Assist individuals experiencing housing insecurity to reduce barriers that often keep them from getting timely services by identifying individual’s needs and directing them to resources for emotional, medical, financial, administrative or cultural support.
- Carry a case load of approximately 20 participants.
- Coach individuals to become advocates for their own care.
- Maintain accurate and timely documentation of services. Enter information in HMIS/Clarity system or other data systems as required.
- Use the 3 C’s Principles (Caring, Communication and Competence) to establish trusting effective relationships with program participant
- Coordinate and facilitate events and opportunities for socialization, recreation, SUD support, computer literacy, financial literacy and other supports in a group setting for those in the non-congregate emergency shelter to participate in.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Range of Authority: The Wellness Navigator reports to the NAMI SD Program Manager.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with qualified disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Prolonged periods of standing and walking.
- Must be able to lift up to 10 pounds at times.
Minimum Requirements, including linguistic and cultural skills, education, experiences, licenses and certifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in health, mental health or human resource field, or equivalent experience preferred.
- Lived expertise working with adults experiencing housing insecurity, living with mental illness, living with a substance use disorder or members of a vulnerable populations.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and familiar with data entry systems
- Fluency in English and Spanish, preferred.
- Personal lived experience in mental health, co-occurring disorders or of having experienced housing insecurity
Temporary/Full-time and Part-time available – 40 Hours per week 7 am- 3:30pm
Hourly Salary Range: $21.00 to $23.00
To apply: Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org