POSITION TITLE: Wellness Educator – Carlsbad, California
Primary Responsibilities/Function: The Wellness Educator is responsible for developing, coordinating programing, and facilitating an in-house community center in a non-congregate emergency homeless shelter setting in Carlsbad. Programing will be geared to the non-congregate emergency homeless shelter participants needs. The environment, supports and groups will focus on building skill of the participants, so they can transition smoothly into safe and dignified housing in a less restrictive environment. The Wellness Educator will work in collaboration with the Wellness Navigators Team and Program Manager to address community concerns, lead, co-facilitate, or support members in running groups based on participants needs and interests, and develop, oversee and evaluate a “Community Living Room “space set up with resources to support the community in meeting their individualized goals.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversees and tracks all data reporting for group participation and tracks participants volunteer hours.
- Documents in HMIS/Clarity or related data systems as directed by the Program Manger.
- Responsible for developing programing that includes, but is not limited to; recovery, computer literacy, financial literacy, how to sustain housing (ex. paying rent on time, taking trash out, how to communicate with neighbors), nutrition and cooking groups, health advocacy and navigation, peer support groups, satisfaction groups, in house community groups like holiday parties, board games, movie nights, book clubs, art evenings, and occasional community outings.
- Will research and develop a user-friendly health and educational resources that will support the participant needs and interests.
- Will take lead in designing and disseminating a bi weekly one –page newsletter to inform participants of upcoming events, recourses and groups.
- Responsible for reaching out to community resources, programs and local businesses in hopes to build opportunities for volunteerism for program participates as well as strengthen community relationships with their un–housed neighbors.
- Create internal documents to be used as universal standards in the program and assist the Program Manager in developing revision of documents as needed.
Range of Authority: The Wellness Educator will report to the Program Manager.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with qualified disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Prolonged periods of standing and walking.
- Must be able to lift up to 10 pounds at times.
Minimum Requirements, Education, Experiences, Licenses and Certifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in human services, or equivalent work experience
- Preferred a minimum of 2 years’ experience working with SMI and SUD adults, co-occurring disorders and individuals experiencing homelessness.
- Must be willing and able to drive personal car, and have a valid California Driver’s License and insurance as required by law.
- Must have satisfactory driving record, and provide authorization to enroll in the Department of Motor Vehicles’ Employee Pull Notice Program. By participating in this program, NAMI San Diego promotes driver safety through monitory of employee driving records.
- Computer proficient in Outlook, Microsoft 360, Excel.
- Fluency in English required; Spanish or other threshold language preferred.
- Prefer lived mental health experience for self or family support
COVID Protocols and Work Environment. As an essential worker providing both telehealth and in-person services, successful candidate will follow CDC guidelines, state guidelines and local mandates for COVID 19 prevention. COVID-19 Vaccination required for employment.
Temporary/Full-time – 40 Hours per week 8:00 am – 4:30 pm
Hourly Salary Range: $22.00 to $24.00 per hour
To apply: Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com