POSITION TITLE: Warmline Peer Support Specialist – REMOTE
Company Description: NAMI San Diego (National Alliance on Mental Illness) is a nonprofit organization that provides free education, support services, and advocacy to improve the quality of life of everyone affected by mental illnesses.
Primary Responsibilities/Function: To assist in ensuring NAMI San Diego’s competent execution of the San Diego County Peer-Run Support Warmline, in operation seven days a week from 3pm to 11pm. This work is currently conducted remotely; requiring internet access and using smart phone or laptop. Position includes, but is not limited to answering live phone calls, prompt returning of voice messages, collecting and entering demographic information, documenting calls in database and providing appropriate resources. Must be able to train, mentor and role model for peers who will be volunteering on peer support line. Part-time 20 hours a week, between the hours of 3pm and 11pm.
Warmline Peer Staff Requirements:
- Certificate of training completion as a Peer Support Specialist OR two-years’ experience supervised in paid or unpaid Peer Support Specialist work with the public behavioral health sector
- Excellent verbal and written communication with ability to connect with peers, one-on-one, employing active listening, problem discernment and solving strategies, empathy, distribution of appropriate resources
- Confident skills in problem solving, time management, personal and professional boundaries; and demonstrated ability to work with diverse populations plus the ability and desire to work as part of a team.
- Advanced ability with technology such as computer applications, cloud-based phone system, web-based platforms such as Zoom for communication. Proficiency in data entry. Competency in Microsoft applications such as Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook.
- Ability to mentor volunteers and interns with enthusiasm
- Understanding of professional boundaries and confidentiality
Accountability: Reports to NAMI San Diego Education Director in absence of Outreach Programs Manager.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with qualified disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Prolonged periods of standing and walking.
- Must be able to lift up to 10 pounds at times.
Minimum Requirements, including linguistic and cultural skills, education, experiences, licenses and certifications:
- Self-identified as a Peer.
- Certificate of training completion as a Peer Support Specialist OR two-years’ experience supervised in Peer Support Specialist work with the public behavioral health sector.
- Grounded in personal recovery.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Understand San Diego County’s mental health services.
- Knowledge of current social services available throughout San Diego County.
- Must be able to pass criminal background check.
- Must be willing and able to drive personal car, and have valid California Driver’s License and comprehensive automobile insurance as required by law.
- Must have satisfactory driving record, and provide authorization to enroll in the Department of Motor Vehicles’ Employee Pull Notice Program. By participating in this program, NAMI San Diego promotes driver safety through monitoring the driving records of its employees who transport clients.
- Clear TB Test required.
- Able to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing using lived experience as a peer.
- Basic knowledge of computer software (Microsoft Office, Word, Excel) and web navigation.
- Reliable internet access
COVID Protocols and Work Environment. As an essential worker providing both telehealth and in-person services, successful candidate will follow CDC guidelines, state guidelines and local mandates for COVID 19 prevention. COVID-19 Vaccination required for employment.
Part time (20 hours/week) Non-Exempt $17.50 hourly
To apply: Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org