NAMI BASICS is a free new education program for parents and other care givers of children/adolescents living with mental illness. NAMI drew on course elements which have been extensively tested and found to be highly effective.
These elements include:
- Recognition of mental illness as a continuing traumatic event for the child and the family
- Sensitivity to the subjective emotional issues faced by family caregivers and well children in the family
- Recognition of the need to help reduce the day-to-day objective burdens of care and management
- Gaining confidence and stamina for what can be a life-long role of family understanding and support
- Empowerment of caregivers as effective advocates for their children
The NAMI BASICS education program includes the following components:
- Six 2 1/2 hour classes of instructional material, discussions and interactive exercises
- A section of the NAMI website dedicated to disseminating information, including informational videos and resources for the program
- In addition to the core six classes, additional topic modules will be available for independent presentations
How Do I Register?
Call the NAMI San Diego Helpline at (619) 543-1434 or 1 (800) 523-5933.
You MUST call the Helpline to register for these classes!
If no classes are available, we keep an interest list and when a class opens up we will call you to ask if you can attend the class.
Note: Website may not be up to date, please call the helpline for a complete list of classes.
No scheduled classes at this time.
Please check back frequently.
New classes will be added soon!