TITLE: Representative Payee Case Manager
ACCOUNTABILITY: Assistant Manager, Client Services; Financial Services Dept.
Following program policies and procedures, the Representative Payee Case Manager represents the agency in interactions with clients, their families and other collateral contacts, and with payor organizations (principally, Social Security Administration); assists clients with budgeting and managing their funds; assures that benefits are being expended to meet clients’ basic needs; affirms the accurate accounting of funds; obtains accurate information from clients for purposes of reporting to payor organizations; monitors the clients’ health status for changes that would indicate the need to refer to additional health or social services; responds to payor requests for information and reports appropriately; reports changes in client status in compliance with payor policies. This position also provides Money Management Workshops to interested Project Payee clients, and encourages/supports the clients’ wishes to become his/her own payee or to find a new rep payee.
1. Receive and work up new referrals to the program: determine if client meets program admission criteria; communicate with referring organization; complete all forms required by payor organization; complete all program intake forms; help client set up appropriate budget.
2. Make visits to clients’ homes, per appointments and scheduling.
3. Continuously monitor client’s basic needs and respond to funds requests appropriately and promptly; initiate contacts with payors when appropriate, e.g., Medi-Cal; return all telephone messages within 1 working day.
4. Put all directions to Bookkeeping in writing on the proper form; review all communications and ledgers from Bookkeeping on a timely basis; provide information to Bookkeeping on a timely basis for entry in database; maintain a running record of the client’s account balance; maintain database daily.
5. Develop service plans with clients to include money management skills training, and/or preparation to move to representative payee services outside the formal mental health system.
6. Prepare periodic records of contacts with and about clients on the proper forms; submit contact reports and mileage records to the Director of Financial Services (DFS) on timely basis; maintain client records in an orderly and timely manner; close files according to procedure.
7. After conferring with the DFS: refer to more intensive service, i.e., case management or give notice of impending discharge; maintain referral follow-up procedures and forms.
8. In conjunction with other Case Managers, conduct Program Advisory Groups once per quarter, minimum.
9. Money Management Workshops: Conduct workshops for Project Payee clients on a monthly basis, in coordination with the other Case Managers. Conduct Workshops for people in supportive relationships with Project Payee clients and for family members, friends, or volunteers who could potentially become rep payees for Project Payee clients. Participate in the development of program training materials and external resources for clients who will be completing the Workshops and leaving the program. Maintain Workshop data for tracking and reporting.
10. Additional support duties may be assigned, as required.
C. SPECIFICATIONS, QUALIFICATIONS, and COMPETENCY FACTORS
1. Experience as a mental health care consumer for self or family member required.
2. A strong positive viewpoint towards mental health is essential.
3. Demonstrated ability to work with diverse populations plus the ability and desire to work as part of a team.
4. Ability to keep confidential information confidential and be discrete.
5. Willingness to support NAMI San Diego’s Mission and Values.
6. Ability to drive with valid driver’s license, auto insurance, and access to use of an automobile as needed.
7. Ability to type using computer is essential with competency using Microsoft Office programs. Prefer a minimum keyboard speed of 40 wpm.
D. WORKING CONDITIONS and JOB SETTING
1. Program headquarters is a standard office setting.
2. Environment with diverse populations routinely coming in for workshops or training.
3. Periodic lifting up to 15 pounds is required.
Status: Full-time, hourly, Monday through Friday, non-exempt.
Description updated 12/2017
Representative Payee Case Manager
Disclaimer: The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performance by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
E. TO APPLY
1. Submit resume and cover letter. No phone calls will be accepted. Please respond via email, fax or postal mail.
Mail: NAMI San Diego, 5095 Murphy Canyon Road, Suite 320, San Diego CA 92123