POSITION TITLE: Peer Trainer & Support Specialist
Primary Responsibilities/Function: This is a remote (out of the office) position. On behalf of NAMI San Diego, ensure the competent provision of the Peer & Family Support Specialist training program, for individuals with lived experience seeking or already volunteering or working in the Behavioral Health Field. Responsibilities include co-training through a web based platform, participant tracking, communication, and support as well as data collection. This position will work collaboratively with the Director of Education to provide remote career counseling support where appropriate. This position will also have regular communication and relationship building with San Diego County and Imperial County Behavioral Health communities and other California NAMI affiliates.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Mentor & motivate with strong presentation / training skills
- Maintain a strong positive viewpoint towards mental health
- Practice & model Recovery language
- Co-train multi-session class through live web based platform
- Provide class participants live, virtual support through computer FaceTime, telephone conversations and email communication
- Document phone calls, email, provide resources as needed
- Assist the Education Department to conduct virtual outreach to specific communities
- Work with class participants to provide placement development & support
- Document & input program data
- Evaluate & document updates to program
Range of Authority: The Peer Trainer & Support Specialist reports to the Director of Education.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with qualified disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
- Personal lived experience with mental health
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field (Social Work, Psychology, Education, Public Health) or 3 years clearly demonstrated equivalent work or volunteer experience
- Strong experience training or teaching adults
- Positive experience mentoring and motivating volunteers
- Advanced knowledge and skills in the use of computer software (Microsoft Office Access Database, PowerPoint, Word, Excel, GoToTraining, and Publisher), email and web navigation
- Excellent communication skills (verbal, non-verbal & written), planning, analyzing, problem solving, time management and coordinating skills
- Detail oriented with excellent organizational skills
- Confident public speaking skills
- Interest & ability to work virtually as part of a team with diverse populations
- Ability to work independently, remotely, with demonstrated ability to collaborate
- Must have reliable computer, adequate computing power, reliable access to internet & phone
- A strong positive viewpoint towards mental health & recovery language is essential
- Confidentiality & discretion is a must
- Willingness to support NAMI San Diego’s mission & values
- NAMI Career Pathways FPSS (Family/Peer Support Specialist) or other Peer/Family course graduates added plus (Wellness Recovery Action Plan (WRAP), Peer Employment Training (PET)
- Bilingual & bicultural in Spanish
- Flexibility & availability to work some evenings/weekends
Working Conditions and Job Setting:
This is a remote (out of the office) position. Must be able to work with and communicate with diverse populations, teaching and providing trainings and digital support. At this time, travel is not required but a working computer, phone and internet is required.
Full-time – 32 Hours Hourly Salary: $16.00
To apply: Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com.