POSITION TITLE: PEER SUPPORT SPECIALIST for Rachel’s Womans Center
Primary Responsibilities/Function: The Peer Support Specialist is an active member of the Rachel’s Womans Center Team and assists members in identifying and developing employment, educational, vocational, social, recreational, wellness, and housing goals. The Peer Support Specialist will use their life and recovery experiences to mentor Rachael center participants. The Peer Support Specialist provides assistance and guidance to Rachael center participants so that they can achieve their highest potential in all life skills. They function as a colleague and role model working in partnership with Rachael center participants and other team members in all facets of the Rachael center program. This position will focus on group and client engagement. They will work alongside employment specialist.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Consistently engages and involves Rachael center participants in all aspects of the program, including activity and work planning.
- Peer Support Specialist will work in conjunction with Employment Specialist and walk side by side with Rachael center participants as colleague to achieve and sustain employment.
- Encourages Rachael center participants to assume leadership roles within the program.
- Provides wide range of work, pre-vocational and volunteer opportunities within the Rachael center participants.
- Coaches and supports members with all community living issues, such as negotiating with roommates, neighbors, landlords, housing authorities, and the legal system.
- As advocates for assigned members, Peer Support Specialist will provide case management services and advocacy with Rachael center participants and the community.
- Coach individuals to become advocates for their own care. Provides messages of hope and models recovery.
- Walk alongside participants by assisting in coordination care by calling to navigate appointments, and accompanying participants to the Areta Crowel Center if necessary.
- Coordinates program meetings, ensuring these are held on a regular basis and are engaging to members.
- Records and maintains Rachael center participants progress on goals set by the participant.
- Regularly collaborates and coordinates with the Rachel’s Women center team.
- Gains knowledge of entitlement programs, such as SSI, SSDI. Assists and educates members in negotiating all relevant social service systems.
Range of Authority: The Peer Support Specialist reports to the NAMI Connection 2 Community Club House Program Manager.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with qualified disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Prolonged periods of standing and walking.
- Must be able to lift up to 10 pounds at times.
Minimum Requirements, Education, Experiences, Licenses and Certifications:
- Completion of Peer Employment Training or related training preferred.
- Computer proficient in Outlook, Microsoft 360, Excel.
- Fluency in English required; fluency in Spanish or another threshold language preferred.
- Lived experience in mental health of self is required. Additionally, personal lived experience in co-occurring disorders or of having experienced homelessness, preferred.
Full-time – 40 Hours
To apply: Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com