Position Title: In Our Own Voice Presenter
Primary Responsibilities/Function: IN OUR OWN VOICE (IOOV) is a powerful public speaking program focused on spreading the message of recovery with living examples. The program features two presenters and a DVD of others who live with mental illnesses and provides hope and breaks down stigma for both the audience and the presenters. Trained speakers take the audience on a personal journey through the five stages of recovery, illustrating how recovery is not a singular event, but a multi-dimensional journey. Topics covered include: dark days, acceptance, treatment, coping skills, and successes, hopes and dreams.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Interface with individuals with severe mental illness (and their families as well as the general public) in a variety of clinical and social settings including group homes, hospitals, schools, businesses, churches and other settings.
- Must be able to speak comfortably and present in a public setting, promoting a culture of recovery through sharing personal stories, information and encouragement towards family support, illness management, and advocacy and stigma reduction.
- Document all presentations correctly on forms and collect presentation surveys and/or evaluations and submit in a timely manner.
- The position requires one to be grounded in his/her personal recovery, have the ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality, and have transportation to meet the variety of presentation requests.
- Successful candidates will be required to complete IOOV Presenters Training.
Minimum Requirements, Education, Experiences, Licenses and Certifications:
- Minimum High School Diploma
- Self-identified as survivor of mental illness or substance abuse disorder
- Grounded in personal recovery
- Knowledge of San Diego County’s behavioral health and social services
- Able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Basic knowledge of computer software (Microsoft Office, Word, Excel)
- Demonstrates ability to use email and complete time card online
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Available to work weekdays evenings, weekends and holidays as required by contract.
- If driving and using a personal car must have a valid California Driver’s License and comprehensive automobile insurance as required by law
- Must have satisfactory driving record, and be willing to sign an authorization to enroll in the Department of Motor Vehicles’ Employee Pull Notice Program. By participating in this program, NAMI San Diego promotes driver safety through monitoring the driving records of its employees who transport clients
- Added Plus: Bilingual and bicultural in Spanish, Arabic, Vietnamese, Tagalog or other Asian language
NOTE: This position does not include mileage to and from presentation locations.
Part-time Hourly Salary: $16.00
To apply: Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.