Open Position: In Our Own Voice, Peer Presenter (Offsite, Part-time)
About the Organization
NAMI San Diego (National Alliance on Mental Illness San Diego) is the community’s voice on mental illness. NAMI San Diego was founded in 1978 by family members of individuals with mental illness. At the heart of NAMI San Diego’s mission is the sharing of information and striving to end the stigma associated with mental illness. To this end, we offer a Helpline, support groups, educational meetings, newsletters, a lending library and a number of classes on mental illness held at various locations throughout San Diego County.
About the Position
IN OUR OWN VOICE (IOOV) is a powerful public speaking program focused on spreading the message of recovery with living examples. The program features two presenters and a DVD of others who all live with mental illnesses and provides hope and breaks down stigma for both the audience and the presenters. Trained speakers take the audience on a personal journey through the five stages of recovery, illustrating how recovery is not a singular event, but a multi-dimensional journey. Topics covered include: What Happened, What Helps and What is Next.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Interface with individuals with severe mental illness (and their families as well as the general public) in a variety of clinical and social settings including group homes, hospitals, schools, businesses, churches and other settings
- Must be able to speak comfortably and present in a public setting, promoting a culture of recovery through sharing personal stories, information and encouragement towards family support, illness management, and advocacy and stigma reduction
- Document all presentations correctly on forms and collect presentation surveys and/or evaluations and submit in a timely manner
- The position requires one to be grounded in his/her personal recovery, have the ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality, and have transportation to meet the variety of presentation requests
- Successful candidates will be required to complete IOOV Presenters Training
Required Background and Skills
- Minimum High School Diploma
- Self-identified as a peer
- Grounded in his/her personal recovery
- Knowledge of San Diego County’s behavioral health and social services
- Able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Basic knowledge of computer software (Microsoft Office, Word, Excel), email and web navigation
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality
- Available to be flexible and work weekdays as well as evenings, weekends and holidays as required by contract.
- Must be willing and able to drive and have personal car, have valid California Driver’s License and comprehensive automobile insurance as required by law
- Must have satisfactory driving record, and be willing to sign an authorization to enroll in the Department of Motor Vehicles’ Employee Pull Notice Program. By participating in this program, NAMI San Diego promotes driver safety through monitoring the driving records of its employees who transport clients
- Added Plus: Bilingual and bicultural in Spanish, Arabic, Vietnamese, Tagalog or other Asian language
NOTE: This position does not include mileage to and from presentation locations.
To Apply: Send Resume & Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org