POSITION TITLE: HOUSING NAVIGATOR- HEAP Funded
Primary Responsibilities/Function: The Housing Navigator is responsible for providing community based services at field based sites where homeless frequently camp or locations/facilities serving the homeless in the central region. The Housing Navigator shall reflect a combined experience in housing, behavioral health and substance abuse with the primary goal of ensuring adult and older adult homeless individuals with a mental illness, unserved or underserved are linked to housing services utilizing the Service Point (CES and HMIS) and the VI-SPDAT to quickly assess an individual’s health and social needs, receive the appropriate housing diversion strategy (VI-SPDAT score) and then match and divert through various community partners to the most appropriate housing intervention possible. Housing Navigator will collaborate with NAMI San Diego Navigation Team, Clubhouse members, landlords, service partners and homeless to strengthen supports/relationships, decrease barriers, navigate housing options, support tenant retention and create a sense of community and connection. Though the Housing Navigator will be working and redirecting individuals to the club house, this job is primary field based. The Housing Navigator will be part of a mobile team that will work out of a variety of shared spaces.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for assessment eligibility, coordinated outreach, overall accurate and timely completion of all required reports/documentation, including housing subsidy application, VI-SPDAT, CES, HMIS and housing subsidy application. Assist individuals/members in obtaining required supportive documentation.
- Provide outreach and navigation as a member of the NAMI San Diego Mobile Navigation Team to homeless individuals in field based/community based sites in the Central Region.
- Develops, maintains and reviews housing plan file/needs assessment with Program Manager ensuring required documentation adherence.
- Works closely with direct service staff to coordinate person-centric housing options.
- Utilizes “Housing First” approach for accessing housing that is not time delineated as quickly as possible, and is not contingent on services.
- Demonstrates knowledge in cultural and linguistic competency, co-occurring and gender responsiveness, and trauma informed care practice.
- Participates in homeless outreach events such as organized homeless encampment cleanups, Point in Time Count, Veterans Stand Down, and Project Homeless Connect.
- Conducts outreach and engagement of homeless individuals in the Central Region where homeless frequently make camps, and at local facilities serving the homeless, i.e. MHS Storage Connect, FHC Navigation Center, Father Joe’s Village, Shelter Bridge Tents, Rachel’s Women’s Center and Property Project.
Range of Authority: The Housing Navigator reports to the Program Manager.
Minimum Requirements, Education, Experiences, Licenses and Certifications:
- Demonstrated experience in housing needs of individuals with SMI and/or substance abuse disorders and ability to generate variety of housing options.
- Prefer lived mental health experience for self.
- A. in social service field with 3 years of housing related social services; OR
- Bachelor’s degree in social service field, and two years of experience providing housing-related social services.
- Prefer Bilingual in Spanish
Full-time – 40 Hours Hourly Salary Range: $17.31
To apply: Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com