Primary Responsibilities/Function: The Health Navigator is an active member of the NAMI San Diego Navigation Team. The Health Navigator ‘s foundation is building trusting relationships, solving problems, directing individuals experiencing homelessness to appropriate resources such as a medical home, emergency shelter, and connecting to health and wellness resources. Promoting safety and health information enhances the overall experience. The Health Navigator will be an integral part of the mobile navigation outreach and engagement team. Though the Health Navigator will be working and redirecting individuals to the club house, this job is primary field based. The Health Navigator will be part of a mobile team that will work out of a variety of shared spaces.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Promote and link effective health and wellness navigation for individuals experiencing homelessness to access medical resources.
- Assess for functional needs and special housing related resources.
- Assists individuals experiencing homelessness to reduce barriers that often keep them from getting timely treatment by identifying individual’s needs and directing them to resources for emotional, medical, financial, administrative or cultural support.
- Coach individuals to become advocates for their own care.
- Assist in enrolling individuals in NAMI San Diego Clubhouse, and assist the new member within 30 days to identify vocational, educational, social, housing, recreational and health goals, and update member file minimum every six months.
- Responsible for assessment eligibility, coordinated outreach, overall accurate and timely completion of all required reports/documentation, including housing subsidy application, VI-SPDAT, CES, HMIS and housing subsidy application. Assist individuals/members in obtaining required supportive documentation.
- Provide outreach and navigation as a member of the NAMI San Diego Mobile Navigation Team to individuals experiencing homelessness in field based/community based sites in the Central Region.
- Maintain supportive, current supportive documentation in members file and update emergency contacts annually. Enter information in ClubHOMS data system.
- Use the 3 C’s Principles (Caring, Communication and Competence) to establish trusting effective relationships with Clubhouse members and potential members.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Range of Authority: The Health Navigator reports to the Program Manager.
Minimum Requirements, including linguistic and cultural skills, education, experiences, licenses and certifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in health, mental health or human resource field, preferred.
- One year of experience working with individuals experiencing homelessness, living with mental illness, living with a substance use disorder or members of a vulnerable populations.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and familiar with Service Point/HMIS, preferred.
- Fluency in English and Spanish preferred.
- Preferred personal lived experience in mental health, co-occurring disorders or of having experienced homelessness.
Full-time – 40 Hours Hourly Salary Range: $17.79
To apply: Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org