Next Steps is a partnership of four community organizations, Family Health Centers (FHC), MHS (Mental Health Systems Inc.), NAMI San Diego and UPAC (The Union of Pan Asian Communities) with NAMI San Diego as the lead agency. This integrated care program funded by San Diego County addresses the physical health, mental health and substance use needs of participants along with their needs for food, clothing, shelter, transportation and other social services. Staff provides individuals and family members who visit the San Diego County Psychiatric Hospital and its Emergency Unit, and designated community clinics and programs with onsite support and resource information that promotes successful recovery and reintegration into the community. The team consists of trained Peer Specialists, Family Support Specialists, Recovery Services (AOD) Counselors, Nurses, Behavioral Health Consultants and Health Navigators most of whom have lived experience with serious mental illness, substance use or a co-occurring disorder or have a family member with lived experience. Staff offers services that are culturally and linguistically appropriate.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Demonstrated ability to relate to the needs and concerns of individuals seeking mental health services, substance use services or co-occurring disorders services and their family members and significant others
- Provide messages of hope and recovery
- Provide welcome and orientation to family members and significant others of individuals newly admitted to San Diego County Psychiatric Hospital
- Provide welcome and orientation to family members and significant others of individuals served at designated County funded mental health clinic sites in San Diego.
- Provide support and information regarding community resources to individuals and their families and significant others
- Offer education on outpatient services, especially if this is their loved one’s first psychiatric hospitalization or clinic visit
- Address the needs and concerns of individuals, families and significant offers with support and provide access to needed resources and appropriate services
- Document all client interactions correctly on forms and/or into the electronic health record in a timely manner
- Proven ability to remain calm and use one’s training and skills to respond to any potential emergencies or crises
- Link family members with family support and education programs
- Other duties as assigned
Required Background and Skills:
- Minimum High School Diploma
- Self-identified as a family member of an individual with lived experience in mental health and/or substance use.
- Grounded in his/her personal recovery
- Successful completion of NAMI’s Family to Family program
- Successful completion of NAMI’s Family Support Specialist program highly preferred
- Knowledge of San Diego County’s behavioral health and social services
- Able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Basic knowledge of computer software (Microsoft Office, Word, Excel), email and web navigation
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality
- Available to be flexible and work weekdays as well as evenings, weekends and holidays as required by contract.
- Must be willing and able to drive company car and personal car, have valid California Driver’s License and comprehensive automobile insurance as required by law.
- Must have satisfactory driving record, and be willing to sign an authorization to enroll in the Department of Motor Vehicles’ Employee Pull Notice Program. By participating in this program, NAMI San Diego promotes driver safety through monitoring the driving records of its employees who transport clients.
- Will not be debarred or excluded from participation in Federal programs by the General Services Administration and/or the Department of Health and Human Services of the Inspector General
- Clear TB Test
- Added Plus: Bilingual and bicultural in Spanish, Arabic, Vietnamese, Tagalog or other Asian language
To apply: Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org