POSITION TITLE: Accounts Payable Specialist
Company Description: NAMI San Diego (National Alliance on Mental Illness), is a nonprofit organization that provides education, support services, and advocacy to improve the quality of life of everyone impacted by mental illnesses.
NAMI San Diego has an excellent career opportunity for a talented Accounts Payable Specialist to join our Accounting team. We offer balanced work/life work hours, a competitive wage and benefit package, including paid holidays, vacation and sick time, medical, dental, vision, life insurance and 403b plan.
Primary Responsibilities/Function: The Accounts Payable Specialist is an integral member of the accounting team and our organization, providing accounts payable experience, knowledge and general accounting support. We are seeking a skilled specialist to manage the A/P functions which include: vendor file maintenance, invoice review-entry, payment processing, 1099 reporting-processing, records- file management and ensure proper internal controls adherence. The accounts payable specialist will demonstrate excellent accuracy, efficiency and attention to detail in their technical work and professional, personable communications working closely with our vendors and staff.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Guidance, Support, Internal Controls
- Support the accounting team and staff with utilization of the billing software, accounts payable related documentation and processes.
- Assist in streamlining and improving the accounts payable process.
- Perform other duties and projects as needed by the organization and CFO.
- Demonstrate confidentiality, discretion and integrity in financial reporting and communications.
Accounts Payable key work scope:
- Perform detailed Invoice review/audits for: accuracy of general ledger coding, contract numbers, amounts, terms, discounts, outstanding balances, adherence to required support documentation per company and contract policies.
- Maintain and update the billing system: new vendor set up, maintenance, approvals assignment, cost allocation expensing.
- Responsible for invoices and other payment requests data, entered into the billing system to the appropriate vendor-other recipient, with accurate pay dates to ensure timely payment being received by the payee.
- Preparation of payments and support documentation maintenance.
- Work with and resolve with vendors or staff, purchases-invoice issues that may impede the processing and/or timely release of payment.
- Monitoring and management of invoices received to ensure all anticipated invoices are received. Monitor aging of payments for future payments due for processing.
- Future training in daily deposit process and procedures to submit to the accountant for processing.
Accountability: Reports to NAMI San Diego CFO
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with qualified disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 20 pounds at times.
- Climb stairs.
- Operate office equipment and computers with ease.
Minimum Requirements, including linguistic and cultural skills, education, experiences, licenses and certifications:
- Minimum of four (4) years’ experience in accounts payable positions.
- Two (2) years’ experience in a complex accounts payables work scope, with multiple locations. Contract payables experience a plus.
- Solid knowledge of essential accounts payable work scope and general accounting- bookkeeping skills
- Working knowledge of accounts payable terminology, procedures and internal controls for safeguarding the company assets.
- Initiative, follow through and effective problem-solving skills with high attention to detail and accuracy.
- Excellent computer skills, data entry and software experience with QuickBooks Online, Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook and other applicable software applications.
- Data entry experience with third party payables systems. Bill.com experience a plus.
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication.
- Demonstrated aptitude for building and maintaining collaborative relationships with staff, directors, external stakeholders, and agencies.
- Strong organizational, time management, prioritization skills; work independently with minimal supervision.
- Maintain high level of integrity, confidentiality, ethical standards – assumes personal responsibility for scope of position.
- Recognition of the importance of documentation; proven ability to maintain accurate records in both the cloud and at the office.
- Values continuous learning and a company culture that appreciates diversity in the work place.
- Reliable and consistent attendance.
- Pass criminal background, credit, and DMV checks required.
- Valid Driver’s License.
COVID Protocols and Work Environment. As an essential worker, successful candidate will follow CDC guidelines, state guidelines and local mandates for COVID 19 prevention. COVID-19 Vaccination required for employment.
Work Location: Company main office
Salary: $22.00-$24.00 hourly Full time (32-35 hours/week)
To apply: Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com