POSITION TITLE: Accountant
Company Description: NAMI San Diego (National Alliance on Mental Illness), is a nonprofit organization that provides education, support services, and advocacy to improve the quality of life of everyone impacted by mental illnesses.
NAMI San Diego has an excellent career opportunity for a talented Accountant to join our Accounting team. We offer balanced work/life work hours, a competitive wage and benefit package, including paid holidays, vacation and sick time, medical, dental, vision, life insurance and 403b plan.
Primary Responsibilities/Function: The Accountant is an integral member of the accounting team and our organization, providing specialized, technically advanced, accounting, budgetary work and other financially related tasks to support the CFO in carrying out the responsibilities of the Accounting Department. The accountant will demonstrate excellent accuracy, efficiency and attention to detail in their technical work and professional, personable communications working closely with staff.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Guidance, Support, Internal Controls
- Assist the CFO to include day to day, monthly, quarterly, and annual processing, reporting and staff support
- Assist in streamlining and improving efficiencies within the work scope.
- Perform other duties and projects as needed by the organization and CFO.
- Demonstrate confidentiality, discretion and integrity in financial reporting and communications.
Accountant key work scope:
- Monitor and reconcile revenue, receivables and cash receipts with non-integrated
- Reconcile bank accounts, and monitor available funds balances and restricted
- Prepare journal entries, functional and benefit cost allocations, monthly accruals, prepaids.
- Perform month end close duties to include: general ledger account review, analysis, account reconciliations, balance sheet review/reconciliations.
- Prepare ongoing and special finance-accounting reports, summaries, financial and statistical reports, variance analysis related to budget, grants and departmental
- Participate in annual budget and annual audit
- Cross train for payroll to execute time and attendance processing and interface with payroll system – reconcile variances prior to transmission and validate confirmed
- Solves problems and recommends changes in procedures in accordance with previous training and experience to enhance efficiencies and internal
- Work with and resolve with staff, purchases-invoice issues that may impede the processing and timely contract invoicing.
Accountability: Reports to NAMI San Diego CFO
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with qualified disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 20 pounds at times.
- Climb stairs.
- Operate office equipment and computers with ease.
Minimum Requirements, including linguistic and cultural skills, education, experiences, licenses and certifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or business related field
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience in complex, technical accounting: nonprofit contracts accounting experience a plus.
- Solid knowledge of GAAP, accrual accounting, audit preparation, fixed asset accounting, budget preparation, and current accounting best practices
- Possess broad, working knowledge of accounting principles, procedures and internal controls for safeguarding the company assets.
- Initiative, follow through and effective problem-solving skills with high attention to detail and accuracy.
- Excellent computer skills, data entry and software experience with QuickBooks Online, Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook and other applicable software applications.
- Experience with third party payables systems. Bill.com experience a plus.
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication.
- Demonstrated aptitude for building and maintaining collaborative relationships with staff, directors, external stakeholders, and agencies.
- Strong organizational, time management, prioritization skills; work independently with minimal supervision.
- Maintain high level of integrity, confidentiality, ethical standards – assumes personal responsibility for scope of position.
- Recognition of the importance of documentation; proven ability to maintain accurate records in both the cloud and at the office.
- Values continuous learning and a company culture that appreciates diversity in the work place.
- Reliable and consistent attendance.
- Pass criminal background, credit, and DMV checks required.
- Valid Driver’s License.
COVID Protocols and Work Environment. As an essential worker, successful candidate will follow CDC guidelines, state guidelines and local mandates for COVID 19 prevention. COVID-19 Vaccination required for employment.
Work Location: Company main office
Full time (40 hours/week)
To apply: Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com